In this complete step-by-step tutorial you will learn in a pleasant and detailed way, everything you always wanted to know about setting up a MikroTik router, starting from scratch. At the end of the basic chapters you will be able to take control and configure any routerBOARD device, whether physical or virtual, new or used, to put it to work in a computer network. You will also be able to interpret and improve existing configurations on other MikroTik routers that reach your hands. We will also analyze common errors that should be avoided, and will see different scenarios you could find in a real implementation.
There will be no more excuses to keep abandon that routerBOARD. This is the opportunity you were waiting for to configure MikroTik, deepen your knowledge in computer networks, and even to take the official certification exam with total confidence .
I proudly present you this MikroTik practical course that I will be publishing progressively in order to spread the use of this wonderful and simple technological tool (and very cheap too) that has absolutely nothing to envy from other expensive brands with tortuous learning curve. So let’s get started with this (unofficial and free) MikroTik course.
MikroTik (Unofficial) Free Course
In this course we’ll do a continuous mention of material already posted on Wilsonlandia.net, so when you find a reinforcement link, it will open in a new window to not to alter your current progress. The module list is shown as follows:
Syllabus overview - MikroTik RouterOS from scratch
- Module 1 – MikroTik Fundamentals.
List of products from manufacturing company and many resources from the official website. RouterOS installation in virtual platform or real hardware. Basic and necessary concepts about computer networks.
- Module 2 – How RouterBOARD work.
Aspects to consider when configuring MikroTik for the first time. Configuration reset by hardware and software. RouterOS license levels. Admin Password. System Clock with NTP client. Router security hardening.
- Module 3 – Operation mode as internet gateway. Automatic IP assignment thru DHCP, DNS service setup, traffic masquerading and main route creation.
- Module 4 – Operation mode as AccessPoint. Wireless interfaces. IP Pools and HotSpot setup. Bridge wireless networks. IP+MAC secure mode.
- Module 5 – Firewall fundamentals. Chains manipulation, NAT types, filter setting, IP list on firewall. Using Layer 7.
- Module 6 – Simple Queues. Bandwidth control. Bursting.
- Module 7 – Queue Tree. Connections and packets tagging. Traffic priorities by protocol or source/destination.
- Module 8 – Web Proxy. Basic setup and use with external proxies. Internal Storage. Transparent Proxy vs No transparent. Real source IP forwarding.
- Module 9 – Performance Tests. System tools: Torch, traceroute and ping. Bandwidth and Throughput.
- Module 10 – Maintenance. RouterOS upgrade, packages installation, System Backup, Export router configuration to Text file, Scheduler, Basic Scripting.
When you finish studying these 10 modules of “Mikrotik RouterOS from Scratch” free course, you will have enough knowledge to configure any MikroTik Router and be able to experiment more complex and advanced configurations. The possibilities with MikroTik routers in computer networks are endless.